Home Maintenance Checklist | Fall Edition
The cold winter months will soon be upon us, so here is a handy home maintenance checklist and guide that will prep your house for the inevitable chill ahead!
- Flush your hot water heater and remove any sediment to prolong the life of the heater and help with efficiency.
Remove and store window air-conditioning units. If you have central air, cover the outside unit with a tarp or plastic sheeting and secure with bungee cords.
- Get your heating system ready for winter. Check for any leaks in windows or doors as these can end up being very costly. Make sure heating vents are open and not blocked by furniture. Get your furnace serviced/inspected at least every two years, if not annually. Also, if you have a fireplace, don’t forget to make sure it has been inspected.
- Turn off and flush outdoor water faucets and hoses; store hoses indoors. If you have a sprinkler system, be sure to winterize it.
- Clean your chimney if you have one. This can be done in the springtime, but regardless needs to be done once per year.
- Check your driveway and pavement for cracks. If there are any cracks, be sure to have them re-sealed before winter as water can freeze and expand in the cracks and cause more damage.
- Make sure you’re “winter” ready, with items such as sidewalk salt, good shovels, etc. You must be ready for the early snowfalls, as they are known to happen!